Saturday, October 31, 2009
Thoughts on Why I should be a Dominican?
1. The Dominican way of life, the mixed life, is, St Thomas says, the way of life most similar to the life of Jesus and the Apostles.
2. The role of the Dominican Order is to save the Church in times of crisis and heresy. Such an Order is never more needed than now.
3. Being a Dominican Teaching Nun is putting a fence at the top of the cliff down which so many of our children fall. That is far better than picking people up at the bottom.
4. The religious life has always been the saving of the Church. Look at the Benedictines saving Europe by being pepper-potted among the ruins of the Empire. Now it’s our turn to be distributed through a crumbling civilization.
5. To save my own soul. As a Pope said, “Show me a Friar Preacher who has kept his rule perfectly and I will canonize him straight away”.
6. To save the souls of others by teaching a praying.
7. To extend the reign of Christ.